A vaginal yeast infection which is also known as vaginal candidiasis is a common problem which is faced by thousands of ladies. The infection is mainly caused due to the growth of fungi known as Candida Albicans which is naturally found in your vaginal cavity. Factors such as stress, diabetes, chronic health problems, oral contraceptives, antibiotics and steroids usually heighten the risk of contracting yeast infections. Even reduced levels of estrogen at the time of menopause can also lead to such vaginal infections.
Burning, itching, swelling in and around the vagina are some of the common symptoms that indicate the growth of yeast infections. Yeast infections in the vagina can cause severe discomfort and pain while urination or having sexual intercourse and can also cause odourless white discharge from the vagina. But, there’s nothing to worry about because it is a curable infection and with the help of certain useful home remedies you can actually get rid of the infection within a few days. For your convenience, I have listed below 10 vaginal yeast infection home remedies that can be useful to you.
10 Effective Home Remedies
There are several home remedies that can help you get rid of vaginal yeast infections, some of which are listed below. Most of these home remedies include ingredients that you can easily find in your home. The ingredients used in these home remedies contain certain antibacterial and antifungal properties that are highly needed to treat such infections. These remedies are not only easy to follow but they can also treat the yeast infection within a short span of time. So, if you ate going through unnecessary discomfort and pain down there, all you need to do is learn about these natural home remedies and get it into action.
Yogurt contains a friendly strain of bacteria known as Lactobacillus Acidophilus which can stop the spreading of infection in the body. In fact, these bacteria are considered to be helpful in building up a healthy environment in the vagina. In case of treating a vaginal yeast infection, use plain yogurt. Make sure that there’s no added sugar in the yogurt because it fuels up the growth of the Candida fungus.
- Apply plain yogurt on the affected area (externally) and let it soak for at least 20 to 30 minutes. This will relieve you from the itching sensation.
- Or you can also insert a tampon dipped in plain yogurt inside your vagina and let it there for at least 2 hours. For faster results, repeat this twice a day.
- Also, you can include plain yogurt in your daily diet.
The antibacterial, antifungal and antibiotic properties of garlic are well known to cure various body ailments. And thus, it can prove to be a great cure for treating yeast infections of any kind.
- Prepare a paste by crushing a few cloves of garlic. Apply the paste over the affected area. In case, you do not have fresh stock of garlic, you can use garlic oil with coconut oil and vitamin E oil and apply it over the affected skin.
- Other than that, you can also consume garlic cloves of garlic tablets daily to cure the infection. It may cause bad breath, but it is worth the shot because of the wonders it can do in treating yeast infections.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Both white vinegar and apple cider vinegar contains some antifungal properties that prove to be helpful in controlling or treating yeast infections of some sort.
- Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of lukewarm water. Drink it twice daily and continue to do so for a week or so.
- Add some white vinegar to your bath and let your body soak in it for at least an hour. This will reduce the itching sensation.
- Or, you can mix apple cider vinegar or white vinegar with plain water and apply it externally over the affected area. Leave it to sit for at least half an hour and then, wash it off with water.
4. Coconut Oil:
Coconut oil has a plenty of health benefits. It possesses certain antifungal components which can help to get rid of the fungi responsible for causing the yeast infections. To treat a vaginal yeast infection with coconut oil, make sure that the oil is 100% organic and pure.
- You can rub coconut oil on the affected area at least 3 times in a day.
- Mix equal amounts of cinnamon oil with coconut oil and apply it over the affected area. This will stop the infection from growing any further.
Even cranberries contain certain antifungal and antibacterial properties that can be used to treat any kind of yeast infections. Other than that, it can also be useful in treating urinary tract and bladder infections.
- To get faster results drink cranberry juice (unsweetened) 4 to 5 times in a day.
- In case, you are unable to get unsweetened cranberry juice, you can consume cranberry tablets twice or thrice in a day. You can get cranberry tablets at any health store.
6. Boric Acid:
Boric acid is claimed to have powerful antiseptic properties that can be effectively used to treat any kind of yeast infections. Although it is highly effective in treating vaginal yeast infections, it is not recommended for pregnant ladies because it may prove to be harmful to them.
- To use boric acid first you need to dilute it with water.
- Then, apply the diluted solution to the affected area and let it sit for few minutes.
- Rinse off the area with water.
- Continue doing this for at least two weeks, daily.
7. Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil is the source of natural antifungal elements that can help to treat yeast infections. But due to its certain content, it is not recommended for pregnant women.
- Dilute tea tree oil with one teaspoon of sweet almond oil or olive oil or water. Now, apply the diluted solution over the infected area. Apply it several times in a day.
- Or you can also insert a tampon dipped in a few drops of tea tree oil inside your vagina and let it stay there for a minimum of 3 hours. To get faster and better results, do this two times in a day.
8. Oregano Oil:
- Oregano oil can cause skin irritation and hence, you need to dilute it before you can apply it over the affected area. Use olive oil to dilute it and then, apply it on the infected spot.
- Or you can consume one or two oregano oil tablets two times in a day.
Calendula is an effective herb which is a great source of anti-inflammatory and antifungal elements that can be used to treat yeast infections of any kind.
- Take three to four calendula leaves and gently crush them. Rub the crushed leaves on the affected spot. Repeat this twice or thrice in a day.
- Alternatively, you can drink tea extracted from calendula leaves. It is known to be highly effective in curing vaginal yeast infections. For pregnant ladies, avoid consuming calendula tea because it may prove harmful for the baby.
- In case, you are unable to get fresh calendula, you can go for calendula ointment or lotion.
10. Olive Leaf Extract:
Olive leaf is known to contain powerful antifungal, anti-inflammatory and antioxidants which can be used to treat yeast infections. It helps to restore the friendly bacteria back in your body.
- To use olive leaf as a vaginal yeast infection home remedy, first you need to chop a few fresh leaves of olive.
- Take a glass jar and put the chopped leaves in it.
- Now pour vodka over the chopped olive leaves until they are completely soaked in it. Close the lid of the glass jar and keep the jar in some dark place for about a month.
- Extract the liquid and put it in another glass jar.
- Apply the liquid to the affected spot.
- To get better results, repeat this thrice in a day.
Use any of the above mentioned home remedies to treat the yeast infection. All the remedies are 100% natural so there’s no risk of any side effects except for pregnant ladies they, need to avoid the use of certain ingredients for the betterment of the baby. It is advisable that you should consult a gynaecologist in case, this is the first time you contracted a yeast infection. Because it is important for you to know whether it is really a vaginal yeast infection or not before, you can start with the treatment. Other than that, these home remedies are 100% full-proof and you can feel safe about applying them.