Candida and antibiotics seem to go hand-in-hand. That’s because there’s nothing more guaranteed to cause a candida infection in the body than the consumption of antibiotics itself. Millions of people throughout the world fall prey to systematic candida infections due to the consumption of antibiotics.
Why Do Antibiotics Cause a Yeast Infection?
Candida yeast naturally colonized your body, and the balance of both your immune system and the healthy bacteria keep the balance so that neither the yeast nor the bacteria grow out of control. The antibiotics can take out the healthy bacteria with the unhealthy bacteria, leading to an overgrowth of the candida yeast.
The fact that it is quite a common problem faced by the people, we are going to discuss how to cure candida caused by antibiotics in details. But before, that let’s learn a thing or two about candida and antibiotics so, that we have an in-depth knowledge about it.
What is a Candida Infection?
Candida or candidiasis is a kind of fungal infection that is caused by the fungi known as Candida albicans. These fungi are found almost everywhere, and they live along with the native bacteria that inhabit the mouth, vagina and gastrointestinal tract. Usually, the native bacteria contribute to keeping the Candida in control. However, when the mix of the native bacteria is altered by the antibiotics which may ultimately lead to the growth of yeast, i.e. candida infection. Candida infection is capable of affecting many parts of the human body. It may either cause larger illness based on the general health of the person or localized infections.
Types of Candida Infection
Depending on the part of the body that is affected by the infection, there are different types of candida infection.
1. Thrush: Thrush is a kind of infection caused by the mouth of a person due to the candida albicans fungus. It generally affects the moist parts of the mouth such as inner walls of the cheek, lips, palate and the tongue.
2. Esophagitis: When the candida infection spreads from the mouth to the esophagus, it leads to esophagitis.
3. Cutaneous (skin) Candidiasis: The candida fungi can also cause skin infections. Areas of your skin that receives less ventilation and usually stays moist are the most vulnerable spots for this infection. Areas such as under the breast are, the crease of the buttocks, and around the groin are the common places where you might get candidiasis.
4. Vaginal Yeast Infection: Around 45% of the vaginal yeast infection in women is caused due to candida infection.
5. Deep Candidiasis: This is the type of candida infection where the infection spreads deep into the bloodstream and thus, contaminating the whole body of the person. The infection may be severe and should be treated as early as possible.
You may also like: Why candida is dangerous if left untreated?
How to Treat Candida Caused By Antibiotics?
Depending on the type of candida infection you have incurred, the treatment may vary.
1. Thrush: In case of treating thrush, doctors usually use nystatin and mycostatin which are antifungal medications.
2. Esophagitis: This type of candida infection is cured with fluconazole which is an oral anti-fungal drug.
3. Cutaneous Candidiasis: Usually doctors make use of a variety of antifungal powders in order to treat this skin candida infection effectively. The affected area of the skin should be kept dry and clean at all times and protected from any kind of chafing.
4. Vaginal Yeast Infections: In order to treat vaginal yeast infections, doctors may prescribe a variety of ointments, tablets, creams, and suppositories that may be used directly on the vagina. The name of the medications used may include femstat, mycostatin, nystatin, monistat, gyne-lotrimin and vagistat.
5. Deep Candidiasis: In case of deep candidiasis, an intravenous anti-fungal drug such as micafungin and caspofungin are used.
How to Prevent Candida Infection?
As they prevention is always better than cure. You can prevent most of the candida infection from occurring if, you take proper preventive measures. Here are some tips listed below which will help you prevent this fungal infection from occurring:
- Try to keep your skin dry and clean at all times. Moist skin is like the breeding ground for the candida fungi.
- Consume only the antibiotics that are prescribed by your doctor. Also, follow the timely routine according to which you have to take the antibiotics as prescribed by your doctor.
- Try to maintain a healthy lifestyle and have nutritious food.
- For people who are diabetics should keep their blood sugar level under check and therefore, avoid consuming food that might lead to a rise in the sugar level.
Follow these preventive measures, and you will do just fine.
No matter what kind of candida infection you get, you should never neglect it and consult the doctor immediately. You never know what these infections may lead you to.